Thursday, January 28, 2010

The Hippos - Attack Of The Killer Cheese (Demo)

The Hippos were a ska/punk band from Los Angeles, California. They were together primarily between 1995 and 2000. Before being discovered by fellow ska-punkers Less Than Jake, and releasing their first CD on the part LTJ owned Fueled By Ramen record label, The Hippos self released this 4 song demo tape.

Two of the tracks on this demo, "Get Away" & "The Boss", were also released on the very first, much sought after, Fueled By Ramen release..... a cassette tape of 4 bands (The Hippos, Boxcar, Shower With Goats, & Supermarket All-Stars) that came in a Chinese takeout box with stickers, a fortune cookie, and ramen recipes.

I hope you enjoy this gem. It had me skankin' around the kitchen for hours.

http://www.mediafire.com/?065qdr1lkd9q39u

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

wanna sell me the sampler

Posi Jeff the Record Guy said...

yea I would love to get a hold of that sampler.

Steve Neurotic said...

Sorry guys, I've only got my one copy I kept because my band was on it. Won't sell it unless someone offered me a stupidly high price for it.

Posi Jeff the Record Guy said...

Don't blame you Steve. I've never seen a copy for sale. And I doubt you will ever find another one.

Bryan Schell said...

This is really cool - what a gem. The Hippos are still probably my favorite band. Thanks for posting this.

Sean said...

Holy shit, I have that sampler! It doesn't have a case, but I do have the cassette. Wow, I had no idea it was so valuable.

If anyone wants to discuss:
suburbanbeat [at] aol [dot] com

Brian said...

if anyone sees this old post, I have a copy of this demo cassette The Hippos - Attack Of The Killer Cheese and I'm willing to sell it for the right price. Email me @ - daybrian03@gmail.com

william said...

Adding a comment since brian sold his already, if anyone has this old demo tape and is willing to part with it, hit me up on my email neirawilliam@aol.com, I'd be willing to pay a high price for it and im sure we can turn up a deal :)